Prosecutors in Trump classified documents case seek to bar him from making statements that “endangered law enforcement”

News


Federal prosecutors on Friday asked the judge overseeing the classified documents case against Donald Trump to bar the former president from making public statements that “pose a significant, imminent and foreseeable danger to law enforcement officers” involved in the prosecution.

The request to US District Judge Aileen Cannon follows Trump's false claim earlier this week that FBI agents who ransacked his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 they were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked and loaded ready to take me out and endanger my family.”

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the revelation in a court document that the FBI, during the search, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when officer conducting the search reasonably believes that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or another person.”

The policy is routine and intended to limit the use of force during searches. Prosecutors noted that the search was intentionally conducted when Trump and his family were away and coordinated with the Secret Service. No force was used.

Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith's team said in court documents late Friday that Trump's statements falsely suggesting that federal agents “were complicit in a plot to kill him” expose the forces of the order, some of whom pointed out that prosecutors will be called as witnesses at his trial.” to the risk of threats, violence and harassment.”

“Trump's repeated mischaracterization of these events in widely distributed messages as an attempt to kill him, his family, and Secret Service agents has endangered law enforcement officials involved in the investigation and prosecution of this case and has threatened the integrity of these proceedings,” prosecutors said. Cannon, who was nominated to the bench by Trump.

“A restriction that prohibits future similar statements does not restrict legitimate speech,” they said.

Defense attorneys have opposed the government's motion, prosecutors said. A lawyer for Trump did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Friday night.

Attorney General Merrick Garland earlier this week blasted Trump's claim as “extremely dangerous.” Garland noted that the document Trump was referring to is a standard policy limiting the use of force that was even used in the consensual search of President Joe Biden's home as part of an investigation into the Democrats' handling of classified documents.

trump he faces dozens of felonies accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then obstructing the FBI's efforts to get them back He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.

It is one of four criminal cases facing Trump as he seeks to regain the White House, but out of the ongoing prosecution for New York hush moneyit is not clear that any of the other three will go to trial before the election.



..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *