The report appears to be one of the headlines to appear in Confider this week , a newsletter that pulled back the curtain on the media. Register here and submit your questions, tips and complaints here.
A major report from Rolling Stone last week, titled "FBI Raid ABC News Star Producer's Home," reads like a Tom Clancy thriller and raises serious concerns that the FBI is looking for the reporter's job.
But there's more to the story than meets the eye, ABC reporters, producers and executives told Confider.
The article begins with a dramatic account of the ABC News investigative producer's April raid on Mickey's Arlington home, citing a neighbor who described himself as a "police car historian" and said the FBI had "confidential information." find" on his laptop.
"Independent observers believe this crackdown is one of the first crackdowns on a journalist by the Biden administration," the magazine wrote.
Anna Wintour's feud with her protege revolves around Conde
However, ABC News staff were confused by the skeleton when Meek withdrew from the network via email on April 27, the same day the attack took place. According to two people familiar with the situation.
While the FBI declined to comment on the investigation, the Justice Department was more open, telling Confider in a statement that the attack was unrelated to Meek's reporting, despite the Rolling Stone article. "While the department cannot speak to specific cases or activities, the department strictly follows the Attorney General's July 2021 memo prohibiting the use of coercive proceedings against media personnel acting in the context of news activities," Dena Iverson wrote. , Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Justice's Public Information Department.
ABC News sources also poured cold water on the idea of investigating Mick for journalism; “If the purpose of the FBI search is to find classified documents, the first thing you should do is contact an ABC attorney because you want protection for the company. one person told Confider. "We'll keep him. ABC lawyers will be there," said another network insider.
Do you like what you read? Sign up for the Confider newsletter here and get a great report from The Daily Beast's media team delivered straight to your inbox every Monday night.
There are many more of Mick's ordeals that are sure to raise eyebrows.
First of all, Confider has learned that while reporters from the New York Times , Washington Post , and NBC News have followed up on the story in recent months, ABC News has not investigated the abuse of their former colleagues, even by the television station. head. from. , Kim Godwin. he heard about it.
Mee, who sources say has removed photos of guns and ammunition from her Facebook account, has not been charged with a crime.
Fox News executives are investigating Tucker and Kanye video leaks
Notably, Rolling Stone's report originally stated that Meek "often collaborated with ABC World News Tonight 's David Muir," but the line didn't appear, according to an archived version of the article archived on the Wayback Machine. Deleted without an editor. : Notes:
And while Rolling Stone magazine , authored by researcher Tatiana Siegel, says Mick has "disappeared", his friends tell Confider he lives with his mother.
Meek and his lawyer, Yevhen Horokhov, did not respond to multiple requests for comment. ABC News declined to respond to Confider 's questions, saying instead in a statement: "He resigned suddenly for personal reasons and has not been with us for several months and we do not comment or report on speculation. did not respond to requests for comment.
Sign up for the Confider newsletter here and get a great report from The Daily Beast's media team delivered straight to your inbox every Monday night.
Read more in The Daily Beast.
Do you have any suggestions? Submit to The Daily Beast here
Get the Daily Beast's biggest news and scandals straight to your inbox. Sign in now
Stay connected and get unlimited access to the unrivaled coverage of the Daily Beast. subscribe now!